RULES & REGULATIONS
The Farm League Rules 5-13U SEASON & TOURNAMENT.
Soft toss & kid pitch at the bottom.
"Saying you did not know the rules does not excuse you from the rule"
NEW BAT RULE EFFECTIVE 1 /1 /11
All bats must have the 1.15 BPS stamp. big barrel or regular barrel are ok
I General rules
Coach Pitch TIME LIMIT: One hour and fifteen minutes or (6) innings whichever comes first. In the event of a tie, the game will end as a tie. Time expiration: A new inning starts after the final out of the last inning. An inning in progress when playing time expires will be completed if the completion of that inning could effect the outcome of the game. No new inning will start after the time limit has expired.
1. 60 foot bases
2. BATTING ORDER: All teams will roster bat. If a batter becomes disabled during the game and cannot bat, it's not an out. If a child is sick before the game, leave him off of your line up and inform both the opposing coach and the press box. This player cannot enter that game.
3. DEFENSE: Will consist of (9) regular fielding positions and (1) additional rover in the outfield. A second pitcher may not be used on the infield. The pitcher(s) will be placed to the side of Coach pitcher, within (10) feet of the rubber. The pitcher may not be in front of the Coach pitcher. RUNS PER INNING: (5) runs per inning.
5. CONTACT RULE: all defensive players must not be in the base path. Interferance will be called. Players MAY NOT use excessive force when sliding into a plate. The umpire will determine and may call the player out.
6. DEAD BALL: Time will be called by the HOME PLATE UMPIRE when no runner is advancing.
7. PITCHER In the 6 under division the pitcher may stand on the cut of the grass on the mound. 7 and above the pitcher must have a foot on the rubber. Pitches must be over hand style. In soft toss, the pitcher is to the side of home plate.
8. BATTER: All batters will wear a batting helmet when on the field of play,
9. COURTESY RUNNER: Will not be allowed unless an injury has occured, only for catcher and the last out would run for that player.
10. INFIELD FLY: Will NOT be in effect
11. FREE SUBSTITUTION: Will be in effect. Players can play any position in different innings.
13. BUNTING: Will NOT be allowed.
14. STEALING: Will Not be permitted.
15. BATTER IS OUT: After three strikes in the 7 and above age division The player will get 6 pitches total. In the event of a foul on the last pitch they can keep swing until a strikeout or hit. In 6 under the batter will receive 5 pitches and may swing at all 5 prior to be being called out. If they foul the last pitch they can keep swinging until they either hit it or strike out.
16. COACHES: On offense a first base and third base coach will be allowed on the field. On defense, 2 coaches on the field for 6 U, 1 coach will be allowed on the field for 7 and under , 8 and older NO defensive coaches will be allowed . In the 8 year old division one coach may stand directly in front of his dugout for the purpose of defensive instruction. 7U may have 1 coach in the outfield behind the players or 2 coaches on the left and right sidelines outside the field of play. ONLY FOR DEFENSE
17. BASE AWARDS: 9U & 8 U -All overthrown balls are live unless the ball leaves the field of play, in which case, a (1) base limit will be given to the runners. Any (fair) batted ball that bounces over, rolls through or under a fence will be a ground rule double. In5, 6 & 7 U the runners get 1 base on an overthrow to FIRST BASE. However if a defensive player continues the play by throwing to a BASE and another over throw occurs the runners may continue to run until the play is called dead by the umpire.
18. RUN RULE: If a team is ahead by (10) runs after (4) complete innings (3 ½ for the home team) the game will be called. If a team is ahead by (6) runs after (5) complete innings (4 ½ for the home team) the game will be called. Coaches and Managers can "do the math" on the game to see if it is possible for a team to come back.
19. GAME TIME: Be at field at least (30) minutes prior to game time.
20. Umpires: (1)-umpire per game. Only the home plate umpire may stop play by calling time out- - . Any thrown ball striking an umpire is in play.
21. LINEUPS: (1) copy to score box and to opposing coach (10) minutes before game time. First initial, last name and number are required.
22. TOBACCO: Use is prohibited.
23. OTHER: Refer to the Nations Tournament Rules and the Officials Base Ball Rules for situations not covered here.
24. Home team will occupy the 3rd base dug out.
25. A fair ball hitting a coach pitcher will be declared a foul ball.
26. Normal MLB baseball rules are in effect of the game. Such as foul balls, outs, runs ect.
27 . Stopping the runner. In 5U, 6U and 7 U if the pitcher catches the ball ANYWHERE on the INFIELD GRASS play is stopped. They must have control of the ball. In 8U & 9 U the umpire will determine if play has stopped by seeing if the ball is infront of the lead runner. The umpire is the only one that can call time.
28. FARM LEAGUE CODE OF CONDUCT:If a coach or Parent is ejected from a game for any abusive behavior towards another parent, coach, player, or umpire that parent AND his child will be suspended for that game plus 1 additional game. This accountability rule is in place to make the parents know if they go to far it will effect their kids, their team, and the other familes. The Farm league's goal is to make baseball a fun experience for everyone in the dugout and in the stands.
II. Coaches / Dugouts / Equipment
2.1 A team shall be limited to four (4) non-players (coaches, bat boy/girls, etc.) inside the fence.
2.2 While on offense, only two coaches may be outside of the dugout fence.
2.3 While on offense, only the batter and the on deck batter shall be outside of the dugout fence. The on deck batter shall stay within the vicinity of his dugout gate. Players are not permitted to warm up in the opposing teams on deck circle.
2.4 While on defense, for 6 U there may be 2 coaches on the field of play assisting the players. Only one coach on the field for 7 under games. 8 & 9 U no coaches can be on the field
2.5 A bat boy/girl may leave the dugout fence to retrieve a bat after all playing action is completed. All bat boys/girls must have a helmet with two ear flaps.
2.6 All batters must wear full service helmets with two ear flaps.
2.7 We are playing with the same rules as USSSA, Nations, Cy-fair, and Spring Klein tournament play for bats. A player can use a big barrel bat other than the new bat rule posted Jan 1 , 2011
2.8 A player participating in the game shall not wear jewelry. The umpire shall ask the player to remove the jewelry. Play shall not continue until the jewelry is removed or the player is replaced. This is not an ejection. Medical alert bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry. If worn, they must be taped to the body so as to remain visible.
2.9 Shoes with metal cleats may not be worn by players. Keep all equipment in your dugout.
2.10 The use of cell phones shall not be permitted inside of the fence by players, non players or umpires.
1. If a game is tied after the regulation number of innings and time still remains, the game will continue one extra inning to determine a winner. If the game is still tied after the one extra inning, the game ends in a tie, even if additional time remains.
2. " NO Drop dead time" - the Umpires clock is the official time keeper. One hour and fifteen minutes or (6) innings whichever comes first. In the event of a tie, the game will end as a tie. A new inning starts after the final out of the last inning . An inning in progress when playing time expires will be completed if the completion of that inning could effect the outcome of the game. No new inning will start after the time limit has expired.
3. The umpires are the sole judge of time. During the season ending tournament, a winner will be determined. An inning ends when the last out is recorded in a home half of the inning.
4. Playoff extra innings.If a game goes into extra innings the rules are the same EXCEPT there are UNLIMITED runs in the extra inning. No 5 run rule.
III Slide Rule
1. A legal slide can be either feet first or head first. If a runner slides feet first, at least one leg and buttock shall be on the ground. If a runner slides, he must slide within reach of the base with either a hand or a foot without going past the base.
2. On a force play if the runner slides, it must be on the ground in a direct line between the two bases, stopping at the base The runner may slide or run in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder.
3. No player shall initiate malicious contact. The question of what is malicious is umpire judgment.
4. On a force play an illegal slide causes both the runner and the batter-runner to be called out and all other runners to return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
5. Malicious contact shall be grounds for ejection.
6. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide the slide must be legal.
7. To prevent contact, if the fielder has the ball or his receiving of the ball is immanent, the runner has the following choices:
B) Go back
C) Go around
D) Give up
8 If contact results due to the runner failing to do one of the above, the runner shall be declared out. The player can not run directly into the fielder.
9 If a defensive player is obstructing the runner (judgment call by the umpire), contact by the runner is not illegal unless malicious.
IV Coach Pitch
1. Ball is dead when returned to the pitcher and in the umpires judgment play has stopped.
2. The umpire shall determine the position or the runners when the ball becomes dead.
3. A team will be restricted to scoring 5 runs per time at bat.
4. The player pitcher shall be stationed within 10 feet of the rubber at the time of the pitch.
5. The catcher shall be located in the catcher's box, no more than 8 feet behind home plate.
6. All 8 year old and younger games will require roster batting.
7. With ANY OUTS you can courtesy run for your catcher.
8.There will be NO:
A) Base on balls
B) Base awards for batter hit by a pitch
C) Infield fly
D) Stealing of bases (Runners may not leave their bases until the pitched ball crosses the front edge of home plate)
9. Runners may not leave the base until the pitched ball reaches home plate. A runner who leaves early will be declared out. The pitch will be called a no pitch.
10. 7U Coach pitch- The play is DEAD as soon as the PITCHER has control of the ball in the infield grass. ONLY THE PITCHER
11. A base runner who is hit with a batted ball which goes directly from the bat to the runner is OUT. If the ball is hit and then touches any part of a defender before it hits the base runner, he is not out, live play.
1 ) The Dad is slightly up the 1st or 3rd base line depending on if the batter is left or right handed. They flip the ball to the batter . Soft toss batting drill style. Each batter gets 6 toss's and can swing at all 6 before they are out .
2) 10 players in the field roster bat
3) no scores, no standings 3 outs per inning.
4) Catcher is behind the dad or way back from the batter
5) Each team will have 1 free walk per game. Used for kids that have trouble hitting the ball . Coaches use a gentlemans agreement to work with the kids so they have fun in the league. Wait until the last couple innings before you use it.
6) When a player is OUT on the base, he MUST return to the dugout. Kids like knowing they got someone out just like they know when they cross home plate.
7) 5 runs per inning
8) 1 hour time limit or 6 innings
9) 3 dads in the field on Defense is allowed . You do not have to have 3 dads out there. WE SUGGEST ONLY 2 .Less crowded.
10) Regular baseball rules apply!
11) 50 foot base length
12) Soft safety ball is used in 5 and 6 U
I. 9 players in the field . Roster bat
A ) 65 foot base length, 46 feet from the rubber to the plate
II. No Walks. If a batter is walked a coach from that team comes in to give 2 pitches to the batter. He will either hit, strike out , or get out. If the 2nd pitch is fouled he can keep swinging until either a hit or out occurs
III. Hit by Pitch. If a batter is hit by a pitch and is able to swing then a coach comes in and give THREE pitches to that batter. If the batter can not swing , hurt, he gets a free base. UMPIRE WILL MAKE THIS CALL
IV. No bunting. A full swing must take place
V. No Infield Fly
VI . 5 runs per inning
VII . No drop dead time. Inning starts when the last out is made in a home half of the inning.
VIII . 40 pitches per player per game. A parent must keep track of all pitches.
IX. 1 hour 40 minute time limit or 6 innings
X. All catchers MUST wear cups.
XI . NO STEALS, NO LEAD OFFS, NO LEAVING THE BASE EARLY
XII. If a rule is not listed above normal MLB Rules apply
XIII. In a tournament pitchers can pitch a MAX of 60 pitches in a day
Same distances at 9u for pitching and bases . All rules of play are the same as 11-13U . full MLB rules . steals etc
I 50' from the rubber to the plate. ( 13 u 54 feet distance)
II 70 foot bases
III no slash bunting
IV a pitcher may pitch 9 outs per game and a total of 18 for a day
V, 7 runs per inning
VI. roster bat
VII Mandatory pinch run for catcher with 2 out
VIII MLB Rules - open bases, lead offs, steals, BALKS
IX . 1 warning for the first balk per team
X . 1 warning for throwing a bat for both teams once it happens
XI . run rule 15 run lead after 3 , 10 after 4 , 8 after 5
XII In a tournament a pitcher may pitch 27 outs MAX for the entire tournament
1. All teams make the playoffs. A single elimination tournament will take place after the season has ended. Be prepared to play games on back to back days.
2. Seeding will be determined by won - loss season record. In the event of a tie head to head will be used. If there is a 3 way tie or more , we will use Run differential to determine 1- X seeds.
3. We have A and B bracket divisions
4. Age is determined as of May 1 cut off date. Players may play up .
5. Pitching limits for the playoffs for 10-11 U are # of outs 27 for the entire tournament per player
6. In 9u a player may pitch 40 per game or 60 max per day
7. games will be any day of the week at any time